- Documentary Filmmaking
- Ethics In Filmmaking
- New Media
- Nonfiction Storytelling
- Multimedia Reporting
- MFA: University of Florida
- Master's: UF Documentary Institute
- Bachelor's: University of Florida
Boaz Dvir teaches writing and production in the journalism department.
An award-winning filmmaker, Dvir is the writer, director and producer of "Jessie’s Dad," which captures Mark Lunsford’s transformation from an uneducated truck driver to a savvy child-protection activist; "Discovering Gloria," which paints the portrait of an average inner-city schoolteacher who becomes a trailblazing innovator and a national model; and "A Wing and a Prayer," which tells the virtually unknown story of World War II aviators who launched a secret, illegal operation in 1948 to prevent a second Holocaust.
Dvir has taught writing, storytelling and documentary filmmaking at the University of Florida.
He has written for many publications, including Newsday, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, the Tampa Bay Times, The Miami Herald, the Jerusalem Post, Scripps Howard’s Treasure Coast Newspapers, the Times of Israel and Explore magazine.
Dvir served as editor of the Jacksonville Business Journal and managing editor of the South Florida Business Journal, which are part of Newhouse’s American City Business Journals. For several years, he appeared on “Week in Review” and wrote commentaries for WJCT, Jacksonville’s NPR/PBS station.
Dvir has won six Florida Magazine Association awards, including first place for his communigator column. He also won numerous awards from the Florida Press Association, including first place for his Business Journal column.
Dvir received a Lilly Endowment grant from the Religion News Service to research spiritual aspects of the Holocaust. He served as an officer and a military journalist in the Israel Defense Forces, where he gathered vital information during 1991 Gulf War, providing material to foreign correspondents, James Baker’s office and Benjamin Netanyahu.
In the News
- Professor and filmmaker discovers transformative teacher
- Filmmaker returns to Baltimore to preview documentary
- Documentarian finds new focus in old story
- Upcoming film tells unbelievable story of France’s Michel Cojot
- Preview screenings set for faculty member's film about daring Holocaust survivor
- Commentary: Could Trump broker an Israeli-Palestinian deal?
- International festival to screen professor’s documentary
- Discovering Gloria Jean Merriex
- Terrorism, then and now
- PODCAST: Putting Nazi weapons in Jewish hands
- Documentary tells triumph of American pilots in Israel’s war for independence
- A second Holocaust?
- Rethinking the notion of a second Holocaust
- Free screening of faculty member's documentary offers audience input
- Documentary set for four East Coast screenings
- Faculty members' documentary selected for screening in NYC
- Professors produce documentary about unsung hero Michel Cojot
- Professor produces documentary, unveils WWII secret operation
- Why we should cheer some operatives for Israel, but not Jonathan Pollard
- World War II veterans offer pearls of wisdom
- Seven lessons from the Greatest Generation
- Time to freak out about the June 11 Florida premiere?
- Screenings of instructor's film set in New York City, Philadelphia
- How Miami played a role in Israel's war for independence
- Instructor's film tells forgotten story of American aviators who helped Israel
- Penn State lecturer's film depicting father's fight for change now on Hulu
- Award-winning film, part of campaign for child protection, available for free
310 Willard Building
University Park, PA 16802