Society of Professional Journalists
For more than 100 years, the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) has been dedicated to promoting and supporting journalists. It offers unique resources to help students as well as working professionals.
The active chapter at Penn State -- which is open to ALL communications majors -- provides numerous opportunities, including:
- Guest speakers who work in TV, radio, newspaper and other media fields.
- Resources on media ethics, legal issues and other guidance, tips and advice.
- Events and social activities with other Penn State SPJ members.
- Connections to College of Communications students and SPJ members throughout our region and across the country.
- Travel to annual regional and national SPJ conferences to learn and network.
- Opportunities to enter students' best work in the SPJ Mark of Excellence Awards.
- FREE local chapter membership. (SPJ requires paid national membership, but students receive a substantial discount on the membership fee.)
For more info, visit SPJ's membership and home pages. Or, contact chapter adviser Steve Kraycik.